What kind of person is Ife-Grace? Who really is the person behind this blog? What are you going to see when you get to know her?
I’m still learning so much about her too and watching as she improves day by day. However here’s a little something just for you. *winks.
Can we just get this enigma out of the way already?
1. Don’t judge a book by the cover. That’s how I’ll ask you to see Ife Grace. If the reason you actually want to come close is because of the charming talker you see, the hugger who can laugh for Africa, you might be disappointed to find a completely different person when you step into her closet.
Let me give you a practical example. When my friend and I just starting hanging out, as usual, I would jump, play, laugh and talk for a long time but a time came when I had to spend some days in her house and she was shocked to see another version of me. A very reserved, calm, introverted lady. It was a complete contrast to what she knew. She calls it my alter ego. The thing is, after exuding so much energy outside, I need to recuperate and usually I do that by getting into my shell to reflect, read and think. Sometimes I go overboard by shutting everyone out completely but I am learning to push past my feeling to enjoy the company of others at such times.
One of the reasons my best friend and I enjoyed our many years of staying together was that we were fine with not always talking. We could be in the house for the greater part of the day and yet not say anything beyond perfunctory greetings. We were cool with it.
2. I love man gist. When stories about relationships and love come up, my ears tingle, but if that’s happens repeatedly, It is only a matter of time before I get bored and walk away.
You have my ears every time discussions are intellectually and spiritually driven. Gists with no head or tail turn me off. Even comedy must have small sense. Reason Trevor Noah and Maraji hold my attention every time. Same go for the way I enjoy events. The mere excitement and pleasure of the moment does not thrill me as much as the connection I’m going to have with the people I meet.
3. M.C is one job I can never do. Making me anchor a program is like taking a fish out of the river. Leave jobs like that for Victor Wahab and Pat Yemco. I can help create suggestions on paper, assist in the running around and background prep, but when the day comes, just leave me at the background
It just occurred to me that I have never planned a birthday party in my life. Not even a small one where I get friends together to celebrate with me. Whatever fun time I had for my birthday was planned by a someone else. I’m weird, I know. Because how do you explain someone who wants to escape wedding reception and stick to only church wedding so that at the end of the service, caterer share the food at the entrance of the church and everyone returns to their houses. I can just imagine the kain eye my mum will give me if I tell her this.
I’m ready to get out of my shell this year. I’m planning a hangout with some of the kids I taught during my service year. They are all in the university and we’ve talked about this. If I’m able to do this, omo, that’ll be a feather in my cap.
4. Flowing from point 3 above, you must have guessed that I don’t like attending parties where there is a crowd. Birthday, wedding…any kind of party. Seeing a crowd freaks me out especially when I don’t have friends around. I love small gatherings. I thrive well there.
5. I’m terrible at keeping in touch with people. I don beg tire. I keep procrastinating until the other person calls and then I feel guilty. Thanks to WhatsApp status. It has helped me to stay constantly in touch with some of my friends. Yet there is nothing as great as having to hear the voice on the other end.
6. I am a gospel music freak. This has nothing to do with ‘overspirituality’.. I just don’t know how to listen to secular songs. I know there are good songs that are not sensually motivated. You know those love songs with beautiful lyrics. It just never appeals to me. I need to learn some of these love songs so I can sing them to my husband when I finally get married. Abi? Those sweet romantic moments when he lies down on the bed and I sing him to sleep..How can I be singing, ‘What a beautiful name it is by Hillsong.’ I’ll keep trying but for now, na Jesus song full my head.
Still on that, someone asked if I had one Don Moen’s song…It occurred to me how long I listened to songs like that. It’s so hard to listen to any song that’s not rock. Classics, mba, except for specific times when it pops up in my mind. People say the slow and steady helps the words sink in faster but for me, that’s when the wandering spirit stands at attention to take charge of my mind.
7. 2017 was a great year for me. You know why? I read so many expository christian literatures than I’ve done in my life. I get bored in the middle of reading books like that and many times had to force myself to finish reading them. Recently a friend brought three powerful expository Christian literatures. I was really excited when I started but all the plenty explanations just tire me. I’m still trying to finish the first one. It’s a big struggle especially when it’s over 100 pages. Many times I just pick what I’m looking for and move on.
Give me great stories laden with spiritual truths and I’ll finish it in less than a week.
I have a similar experience with sermons. It is one reason I was able to sit under Bro Gbile Akanni for almost three hours without having my mind wander. I’m not a fan of abstract or thesis kind of sermons. They makes my mind run and I’ll have to keep running after my mind to bring it back. During my childhood days, morning devotion was never boring when Dad was in charge. The man can tell biblical truths using stories ehn…
8. My friend was watching ‘Agent of Shield’ one evening and I decided to also see the movie that kept her glued to her laptop screen. By the time I would sleep that night, I was chased around with guns and bullets while I ran for my dear life. Yes, my imagination is that active. Apart from the movie 24, every time I watched very action packed movie, my dreams are horrible.
The worst is when the movie has creatures flying up and down like dinosaurs or dragons. Those creatures will find their way into my dreams especially when I watch such movies towards the evening time. It annoys me that my friends do not experience this. Same applies to books. Till date, I’ve not been able to finish Angels and Demons by Dan Brown because of the nightmares I began to have when I started reading it. I am fine with family drama.
9. I like beans. Beans and plantain makes me happy especially when prepared by me. I also like Garri (a.k.a eba). I can eat it everyday if complemented with different soup delicacies. If you have been following my stories, you can tell that I like pizza, cold stone icecream, shawama and chicken very much.
This is how you ruin my day. Serve me amala and gbegiri soup.
10. Jesus means everything to me. You can’t come with the kind of experiences I’ve had and not love him for staying by you and loving you when nothing made sense
11. Writing stories is how I ease tension. It is a part of my life. It is the way of escape when I don’t feel so good. I don’t like being interrupted in the middle of writing a story. Of course I can’t rule out emergencies. When I frown and seem upset at such times, It’s not personal. It’s just that my emotions are always involved when I’m writing. Interrupting my thought process is like punching a tyre with a nail.
Thank you for reading
*takes a bow*