The first time I met Busoye, I liked her immediately. I mean, there was something about her that resonated with me even before we talked. But there was something else I noticed. She seemed unhappy.
I had seen her at the back of the church practicing on an instrument and she would sit down frustrated, tears running down her eyes especially when she didn’t get the tune right.
We became friends few weeks later. I saw her deep passion for the Lord and for hours we would talk scriptures together in my room. After the service, as we walked home, I noticed her sad countenance.
‘Busoye, what is the problem. You sang so well today.’
She shook her head. ‘Ife, I feel unfulfilled. I feel like I’m not where God wants me to be. But Pastor Francis said, this was God’s call upon my life. He prophesied. He said I have been called to release albums and minister to the world. I think something is wrong with me.’
I stopped and faced her. ‘Did God tell you that was what he wanted you to do?’
She shrugged. ‘But I have a good voice or I think I have a good voice.’
‘That’s not the point. What burden is the Lord laying on your heart? What comes to your heart every time you spend time in your devotion.’
She sighed and didn’t respond. When I saw the struggle on her face, I wrapped my hand around her waist.
‘Busoye, pray again about this and follow whatever leading God is laying on your heart.’
The following week, Busoye came to my room with a friend I had met through her. Immediately, Kunle landed on my sofa, he went straight to Instagram and showed me a picture of a Pastor who had about 50k plus followers. He scrolled to different videos uploaded by this man, each with thousands of likes. I could see in his eyes, a desire and longing.
He raised his head and looked at me. ‘Just look at what a 25 year old man is doing. I’m here sitting in the media department of the church, recording sermons. I can’t waste away o. ‘
Before I could say jack, he announced his intention of stepping down and joining a group of young men who went from place to place preaching. They were followed by a photographer and social media strategist cum content developer. The photographer took the photographs of the ministrations and the social media guy worked on content and views. He had even taken two weeks off work to attend a program on ‘Strategies for winning souls on the web. ‘
I tried to advise him to slow down and pray about it but his mind was made up.
The following day, I had to travel for a writer’s retreat and when I returned some weeks later, I noticed Busoye had left the choir and was taking the foundation class for new believers. There were just 7 converts in her class but I could see the glow in her eyes as she taught.
The service had barely ended when she rushed to my seat and hugged me tight. ‘ Ife, thank you. I am so happy with what I’m doing now. ‘ She couldn’t contain her excitement. ‘I know this is where God wants me to be. I’ve known it since but I just couldn’t come to terms with it. ‘
The opening statement of Paul in Galatians 1 didn’t leave my mind for days after reading it. It is pregnant with a whole of lessons. Can we look at it together?
…Paul, an apostle- sent not from men nor by a man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead. Galatians 1:1(NIV)
Who called me into the work I am doing presently in the body of Christ? A crave for Instagram followers? Facebook competition? A Pastor? My Desire to be in the limelight? Sheer determination?
Why exactly am I doing this? Can I confidently say, I am walking in line with God’s plan for my life?
Let me go right to outlining few lessons I got from the very first verse of Galatians 1.
1. Paul was convinced of what he was called to do. I mean, he knew his assignment and who had called him into the work. His convictions are scattered in many of his epistles. Let me give you a few examples.
…Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus through the will of God..1 Corinthians 1:1.
…Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the will of God. 2 Corinthians 1:1
…Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Tim 1:1.
..Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the will of God. Ephesians 1:1
I can go on and on to show you a man who would not be moved by the latest trend. A man unshaken in the call of God for his life.
When at every stage of your Christian journey, you are opened to receiving instructions from God, even when your flesh begins to draw you to something else, somehow, you will find those nudges directing you back to your assignment. But when what drives you is fame, confusion will remain your friend.
Success in God’s calendar is not dependent on the enormity of your performance, faithfulness is what matters.
2. There is a prize. We will all stand before Christ to give account of what we have done with our lives. Our work will go through fire. Some works that will be presented will burn to ashes while others will bring forth gold and silver. So let’s run with God’s call. Let’s bring our desires under complete control so we don’t have to watch others receive their rewards while we stand aloof.
3. You have a role in the body of Christ: To reach the unsaved souls, to edify the body of Christ. Build your treasures in heaven where moth or rust cannot destroy. Working to pay the bills is fine but that’s all going to end here. There is a world difference between that career that pays your bills and your contribution to the body of Christ. Find your spot in the kingdom work.
4. No function carried out by a believer is better than the other. We are all members of the body of Christ. Because a person’s role involves him coming out to the limelight does not mean he is better than those who don’t. Again, God sees faithfulness not numbers.
5. Whatever we have been called to do, It is God who determines the placement not you.
In Kenneth Hagin’s words:
A study of church history reveals that down through the centuries, various groups have endeavoured to get back what they call new testament practices. They ‘called’ and ‘set’ people who have no divine calling into certain offices. This is unscriptural. God does the setting. God does the calling. ‘
The scripture states this very clearly.
…But in fact, God has placed the parts in the body everyone of them, just as he wanted them to be. 1 Corinthians 12:18.
5. Walking consistently with the Holy Spirit and allowing him work through you is one way of discovering your calling. Another way is to renew your mind consistently. The two are intertwined anyway. When your eyes are fixed on fame and recognition of men, be sure you will not hear Him. All you will hear is the voice of the flesh.
6. It’s fine for a Pastor to prophecy over your life in respect to your calling, but let it serve as a confirmation. You find out yourself what you have been called to do. Don’t depend on a man of God to tell you what God’s purpose for your life. Have your personal conviction. Be able to stand and say, ‘what I received was not by man but by the will of God.
What’s lesson are we going to be looking at next week?
…Grace be to you and Peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ.